Japan is an ideal destination to visit with children and even with babies. It is a very comfortable country to move around, you don’t even need to have notions of Japanese to get around this country, in fact, transportation is very easy to use. In addition, together with its culture, its mixture of tradition and modernism make this country one of our top 5 trips with children. For this reason we will go into much more detail in “what to visit in Japan with children?”
Once you have chosen the date for your vacation in Japan, the next thing you have to do is find your trip to Japan that best suits your needs and your itinerary. Find your best trip to Japan.
What to visit in Japan with children? What you should not miss…
The traditional and the modern walk hand in hand through its streets so that the traveler can do things that he will not be able to do elsewhere… What should you not miss in Tokyo with children?
- The island of Odabia . Here you will travel to the future on its monorail… you will be able to visit the replica of the Statue of Liberty , the DiverCity shopping center and its life-size Gundam, the Fuji TV headquarters with its views from the observation deck, the Aqua City shopping center and the Legoland Discovery Center , you can climb the 115-meter-high Daikanransha Ferris wheel , learn and experiment in the Museum of the Future , visit the Maritime Science Museum that is shaped like a ship and its huge playground with a pirate ship, you can relax in the hot spring complex for all audiences Oedo Onsen Monogatarior sit and watch a family sunset on Odaiba beach . Without a doubt, an experience to live with children.
- The famous Shibuya crossing , walk along Takeshita-Dori and visit the neighborhoods of Shinjuku , Akihabara and Ginza .
- Have a picnic in Yoyogi Park and visit the Meiji Jingu Temple.
- Climb the Tokyo Tower and admire the city.
- Visit the Imperial Palace , get lost in the Asakusa neighborhood and enter the Hanayashiki amusement park with more than 150 years
- Enjoy a cruise on the Sumida River.
- Visit the Robot Restaurant , the most famous in Tokyo for the show it offers while you dine. Neon lights, robots that dance to the rhythm of the music and actors who get into the role as if they came from the future will surprise the little ones.
- Knowing the Ghibli museum will delight children, since it is a place dedicated to the anime works made by the Ghibli studio, as its name indicates. It is located in the fun Kichijoji neighborhood and in it you will enjoy characters from such iconic movies as My Neighbor Totoro, Laputa, The Castle in the Sky and Spirited Away, among others.
- Come to the Tokyo Anime Center and discover one of the most important places of anime and otaku culture. Here you can buy limited products and find out about the latest news in this field.
- The Teamlab Borderless is an essential for lovers of different art, where the lights and shadows will leave you absorbed.
- Don’t miss the Miraikan science museum , where children will learn and have fun at the same time.
- Ride the Daikanransha Ferris wheel .
- Have a Sumo workout or a Ninja class with the kids
- Finally, if you are going to travel to Japan with children, you cannot forget Sanrio Puroland in your itinerary, where children will have a fantastic day in the city of Hello Kitty.
It may interest you… Tokyo with a baby, discovering the largest urban agglomeration
Tokyo Disneyland and Tokyo DisneySea
Undoubtedly, for lovers of the Disney world, a must-visit is Tokyo Disneyland , the first Disney park opened outside the United States. At the Tokio Disney Resort you can enjoy the T okio DisneySea , a park where fantasy, myths and legends coexist. A super essential on the list of “What to visit in Japan with children?”.
Likewise, the Edo Wonderland Nikko Edomura will be the key to travel back in time and return to the Edo era. In this amazing theme park you will feel lost in the world of cinema and children will be able to live incredible adventures.
Kamakura is located less than an hour from Tokyo , it is well known for its temples and shrines.
- During the visit, you will be able to admire the grandeur of the “Daibutsu” or Great Buddha of Kamakura in the Kotoku-in temple.
- Be moved by the hundreds of jizo statues and small offerings to deceased children at Hasedera Temple .
- Buy some souvenir or eat something in Komachidori street .
- Visit the Tsurugaoka Hachimangu Shrine .
It may interest you… Kamakura Day Trip from Tokyo
You will find the tradition and culture of Japan in Kyoto in each of its temples and in its streets. Not to be missed in Kyoto :
- The Fushimi Inari-taisha temple with thousands of red torii for 4 kilometers that meander tracing a path through the base of the Inari mountain.
- Kiyomizu-dera , the temple of pure water and the most touristic in the city. It was built in 778 on a hill to the east of the city and offers magnificent views of Kyoto.
- The Kinkaku-ji temple or also called the Golden Pavilion.
- Discover the Gion neighborhood , the famous Geisha neighborhood.
- Stroll through the Arashiyama Bamboo Forest .
- Ginkaku-ji or the Temple of the Silver Pavilion and walk the path of Philosophy
- The Heian Shrine or Heian Jingū.
- The temple of Sanjusangendo .
- Nijō Castle.
It may interest you… Kyoto with a baby, we fell in love with this city
Nara is a major tourist destination due to its large number of ancient temples that are part of the UNESCO World Heritage Site. Is it boring to visit so many temples with children? Nope! Because they are all incredible and some very special animals accompany you along the way… the deer!
More information in… Excursion to Nara from Kyoto with Japan Rail
Osaka is one of the largest cities in this country, and therefore has an incredible offer for tourists, not to mention families. In fact, Osaka is a perfect city to travel with children, since some areas of the city can look like a theme park thanks to their striking decorations.
- The Universal Studios Park is a perfect stop for the little ones to feel like they are in a movie. Not even the older ones will be able to resist going through the Harry Potter area and enjoying themselves in the Super Nintendo World.
- Osaka ‘s Kaiyukan Aquarium features whale sharks, a marine species that will leave children speechless and amaze them.
- Do you dare to climb the HEP-Five Ferris wheel in Umeda? Children will love seeing the city from above.
Himeji Castle is one of the oldest structures of medieval Japan still surviving in good condition. Along with Matsumoto Castle and Kumamoto Castle , it is one of Japan ‘s “Three Famous Castles” , and is the most visited in the country.
More information at… A morning at Himeji Castle
Mount Fuji is the main symbol and icon of Japan and the most revered sacred mountain by the Japanese. It is an inactive volcano since 1708 that rises to more than 2,400 meters high, being a must-see on your trip.
At the foot of this sacred mountain is the Fuji Q Highland amusement park . This park offers impressive views of the majestic mountain, as well as record-breaking roller coasters, such as Dodonpa, which has the fastest acceleration in the world, or Takabisha, the most difficult and with steepest descents.
Okinawa Island and its beaches
Can you enjoy the beach in Japan ? This country has islands with beautiful beaches, Okinawa is one of the most accessible islands but it is also the most touristic. There are other islands like Ishigaki or Miyako-jima that are more paradisiacal but the combination to get to them is not so comfortable.
Some of the best beaches in Okinawa :
- Emerald Beach which is located in Motobu Ocean Park.
- Yagaji Beach in Nago is a private beach that you have to pay to enter, just like Sun Marina Beach in Onna.
- Fuchaku Beach and Tiger Beach are famous for their sunsets.
Also, you cannot miss a visit to the Okinawa Churaumi Aquarium , the second largest aquarium in the world and part of the Ocean Expo Park. The main tank has a volume of 7,500 cubic meters of water, being the largest glass screen in the world with 8.2 meters high by 22.5 meters long and 60 centimeters thick. Its biggest attraction is the whale sharks, since together with the one in Georgia and the Kaiyukan Aquarium in Osaka, they are the only ones that exhibit this animal.